All professionals at Lien Orthodontics maintain the highest levels of accreditation and pursue ongoing education to stay abreast of the latest trends in the medical field. Read on to learn more about our staff’s experience and training.
Dr. Deborah Lien, DDS, MBS
Orthodontist in Blooming Prairie, MN (also serving Hayfield, Albert Lea, Owatonna & Austin, MN)
Dr. Deborah Lien, DDS, MBS, has been an orthodontic specialist serving the Southeast MN communities of Blooming Prairie, Austin, New Richland, Albert Lea, Owatonna and Rochester and surrounding areas since 1986.
Dr. Lien has enjoyed 30 years in her orthodontic practice serving the SE Minnesota communities of Austin, Owatonna, Rochester, Blooming Prairie, Hayfield and surrounding areas.
Dr. Lien completed her Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) at the University of Minnesota with Summa Cum Laude High Distinction and as an inductee to Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society. She received her Master’s of Biomedical Science/Orthodontics (MBS) at Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine in Rochester. Dr. Lein is dedicated to providing quality orthodontic care to her child, teen, and adult patients through multiple types of services including clear, tooth-colored, ceramic, metal braces and functional appliances. She provides treatment for correction of crowding, overbites, underbites, spacing, and jaw deformities and for surgical orthodontic treatment alternatives. Dr, Lien’s greatest accomplishment is: “Seeing one of her young patients’s self-esteem soar after having that child comfortable in their own skin after being bullied for having “buck teeth or fangs” and being told my adult patients had a successful job interview or received a promotion because their “new smile” now have them the confidence to succeed.”
Dr, Lien feels honored to have recently received the Roger Fredsall Distinguished Service Award from the Minnesota Association of Orthodontists for outstanding service to the organization and for her dedication and commitment to orthodontics and to the communities she serves. She is Past-President of the Midwestern Society of Orthodontists, encompassing an 8 state area and Manitoba. Dr. Lien is Past President of the Minnesota Association of Orthodontists and 2017 President of the SE Minnesota Zumbro Valley Dental Society and remains on the Board of Directors of these organizations.
In all of these professional positions, her main passion is to remain a strong advocate for her patients’ rights. “My passion is to help my patients in outstate and rural Minnesota attain the best possible healthcare and to achieve total health that heals their entire body! Proud to grow up on a grain and hog farm in SW Minnesota, I witnessed the need for this in my community and I now feel blessed after 11 years of post-high school orthodontic education (my farming parents called it lunacy) that I have the opportunity to make a more positive impact in the lives of my patients both in my private practice and in our great USA.” Dr. Lein advocates at state, regional and Washington D.C. levels as a proponent for raising the cap on flexible spending accounts and to improve employee benefits of health savings accounts to allow all patients to make wise healthcare spending decisions. She lobbies to advance legislation that would reduce student loan debt and allow graduate students to defer their loan interest payments until after graduation. Dr, Lien works to advance bills in Congress that would assure that preventative medical and dental care is available to children everywhere.
Dr. Lien donates her time and expertise to organizations such as Smiles Change Lives, Donated Orthodontic/Dental Services, Give Kids a Smile and Mission of Mercy where qualified children, disabled individuals, and adults are given free care.
Her husband, Dale is a mechanical engineer at Gauthier Industries in Rochester. Dr. Lien is extremely proud of her children including her son, Aaron who is a chemist and supervisor at Upsher Smith Pharmaceutical in Maple Groce, MN. Daughter, Ana is a Family Physician completing her Rural Family Practice Residency at Mayo Clinic, LaCrosse, WI.
Hobbies: Fishing, boating, gardening and canning vegetables, salsa and jams; volunteering for her church and woman’s shelters; playing the piano; embroidery, quilting, and sewing.
Professional Awards and Associations
- Zumbro Valley Dental Society President 2017 and Board of Directors Chairwoman
- Midwestern Society of Orthodontists (MSO) President, 2014-2015
- Minnesota Association of Orthodontists (MAO) Highest Honor, Roger Fredsall Distinguished Service Award, 2013
- Minnesota Association of Orthodontists (MAO) President, 2001-2002
- World Federation of Orthodontists
- Delta Sigma Delta Theta Chapter Award in Recognition of Highest Academic Achievement in Dentistry
- University of Minnesota Alumni Association Mayo Alumni Association
- Beta Beta Chapter of Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Dental Society Delta Sigma Delta Theta Education Association
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Award for Outstanding Achievements in Undergraduate Study and Clinical Training in this Specialty Area of Dental Education
- American Association of Periodontists Award for Outstanding Academic Achievement
- American Association of Orthodontists (AAO)
- Member of AAO House of Delegates, House of Delegates Vice-Chair to Midwestern Society of Orthodontists
- AAO Council on Governmental Affairs (2012-Present)
- Midwestern Association of Orthodontists (MSO) Immediate Past President 2016
- Minnesota Association of Orthodontists (MAO) (Past President) and Current Board of Directors
- Minnesota Association of Orthodontists Council on Legislative and Regulatory Affairs Chairwoman Presently
- American Dental Association
- Minnesota Dental Association serving on Education Committee
- SE District Dental Association (Past Board of Directors)
- Earl E. Shepard Distinguished Service Award Recipient in recognition of an MSO member who exemplifies the ideals of the orthodontic profession, community and family- 2020
- American College of Dentists Inductee-2019
- Donated Orthodontic Services Provider 2019 to Present
- Blooming Prairie Education Foundation Donor and Fundraising Member 2017-Present
- Blooming Prairie Boys and Girls Club Donor and Fundraising Member 2016-Present
- Mayo Clinic Behind the Shield Philanthropic Organization Member 2016-Present